<VV> Cost Differences (long)

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh@hotmail.com
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:19:09 +0000

Hey Mr. President!

I always thought the pillarless hardtops were more expensive to produce, all
other things being equal, because the lack of a pillar reduces torsional
stiffness (necessitating additional bracing) and requires more complex door
and window sealing and fussier adjustments to get everything to fit and seal
(e.g. you need a tilt adjustment on the side windows now).  When
manufacturers designed cars in the '60's for minimum cost, they always had
pillars.

I'll let Chuckster or TLH comment on your "engine intake lovers" as I don't
feel competent to discuss that!!

-- Doug Mackintosh
   Corsa member since 1996
   Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
   Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on

AeroNed wrote:

<< SNIP...

I want to address the things I noticed that GM changed to lower the cost to
make the Late models. The removal of the 'B' pillar, moving the engine
intake
lovers off of the engine lid and on to the rear panel below the rear window
simplified these parts. ... UNSNIP >>

What are the 5 hot job markets for 2004? Click here to find out.
http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom/MSN/CareerAdvice/WPI_WhereWillWeFindJobsIn2004.htm?siteid=CBMSN3006&sc_extcmp=JS_wi08_dec03_hotmail1