<VV> response to dash paint

RICKIE WILLIAMS RICKIEWILLIAMS@peoplepc.com
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:17:48 -0600

  Subject: dash paint

  The permanent portion of the dash of my 65 Corsa convertible, that is, the
  portion visible between the instrument cluster and the glove compartment ,
and which contains the radio and ashtray, is painted with a material with a
texture approximating 150 grit wet or dry sandpaper.

  I have obtained some "zero gloss" paint which is
  close to the sheen of the original material, but not the texture.

Smitty-ized original message

  Paul Michalczyk

I am currently addressing the same issue with the raffle car for the 2004
convention in June.  It being a 66 Monza Convertible with Fawn Interior and
Fawn Top, if one was to count 0% and 60% gloss as two different colors, then I
would have to spray 5 different colors within the interior of the car.

To address your concern, I really think that the "texture" you are trying to
replicate has more to do with oxidation of the original finish and the metal
under it than with what was sprayed on it originally.  I admit that flat
finishes are rough relative to shiny ones, but not 150 grit sandpaper rough.
The roughness of flat finishes sprayed in the 60's is partially due to the
finishes being very porous.  You have already mentioned rust being a problem
nearby.  So, humidity is obviously entered as a variable.  A humid atmosphere
plus a metal object with a porous finish equals oxidation.

For the raffle car's interior, I am addressing the problem via
basecoat/clearcoat formulas obtained from the PPG color library and then
shooting the appropriate percentage gloss clear over whatever given area.
There is a 0% gloss clear available...not cheap, but available.

Please buy raffle tickets for the car...I have spent a LOT of money on it!

Rickie Williams
Columbia, KY