<VV> Sealing Vent Stacks (Kick Panels)

Phil Fairman hoscale@paonline.com
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 19:31:33 -0500

There has been a lot of posts recently on the subject of sealing vent
stacks...I'll add a few cents worth. In the process of restoring my Monza
coupe, I removed the entire interior, including the vent stack/kick panel
assys to install new vent seals and to repaint the kicks. Removing them was an
exercise...that grey, putty-like caulk that the factory used was all over
everything. I thought, hey, looks like that grey strip caulk from the hardware
store...so I tried it when I re-assembled them to the car. They leaked. I
found that you cannot compress the strip caulk enough to get a good seal.
Further investigation and some research showed that when GM put that sealer
in, it was warmed so it would flow, then harden & seal. Not having my Tech
Guides Yet (Now I realize that this was a major sin) I consulted the body
manual...which describes the process of removal, & resealing...it specified a
"Medium Bodied Sealer". I went to my local body shop supply place, which
carries 3M products and asked for something of that description..They trotted
out with a caulking gun tube of 3M #08509 sealer.
It's a black sealer designed for windshields and other seams where complete
drying of the seal is not desired...it remains flexable. I cleaned all the
grey clay caulk off everything and re-installed with the 3M sealer...no leaks!
Now, having read the article in the Tech Guides on using the 'Vert stacks, I
plan to re-do these in the spring. I got a nice set of stacks from The Corvair
Ranch, cleaned them up and will cut the attached stacks off my kicks to allow
the 'Vert stacks to be installed. I believe the author of the article in the
Guide used a silicone sealer to glue & seal the stacks into place, however,
I'll use the 3M sealer again...either should work. This experience is a prime
example of "not re-inventing the wheel" The Tech Guides are invaluable for
both the newbie and the experienced Corvair owner....someone has already
solved your problem in the now 34 years of CORSA.

Cheers,
Phil Fairman
'66 Monza 110/PG