<VV> Cost Differences (long)

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:26:07 -0500

I won't debate the costs of the early vs late Corvair construction, but are
any of the changes that you listed actually significant to the actual
operations/performance of the car?  Do they actually impact the engineering
in a negative way?  Is an elaborate dual system actually a better heater
than a single plastic duct?

I'm not trying to engage in the early vs late debate, but isn't one of the
goals of industrial engineering to cut costs?  Every manufacturer is in
competition and owes its stockholders a profit.  So cutting costs where
practical -- particularly if the newer solution may actually perform better
-- is generally a desirable goal.

With that in mind, I'd be interested in a new version of you list that
evaluates the pro's and con's of the changes.  In addition to the heater
duct change above, for example, did the move of the engine air intake from
the rear deck (louvers) to the base of the rear window alter the engine
cooling -- either for the better or worse?

Jim Simpson -- late model owner but I do like the lines of the early coupes...