<VV> Turbo Carb leaking very bad!

Michael Cassera corsa@defiancestudios.com
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:50:05 -0800

Hi All,

I recently put in a rebuild LM carb that I had purchased in my 65 Corsa when
I had the Turbo rebuilt.  I have driven it maybe three times since I put it
in.  Missing from the fuel setup was the Fuel filter and fuel retun line
that a previous owner felt was superfluous to the car.

I installed a new filter and was in the process of getting the return line
in when I tested the filter to be sure it was working correctly.  Basically
I ran a hose from the return outlet of the filter to a gas can to see how
the car was running.  I was also curious about how much gas was sent back to
the tank.  The car was running well but...

When I held the throttle so that the car ran at about 2000 rpm, the
carburator started to leak a stream of gas.  It seemed to be coming from the
pump actuating link.  The stream of gas was constant as long as the throttle
was held.  When I released the throttle and the car went back down to idle,
the leak eventually stopped.

Its frustraiting because this was a newly rebuilt carb.  I know virtually
nothing about carburators and what makes them work.  Does this seem like a
problem with a simple solution or am I doomed to pull apart the whole
carb/turbo setup again?

If I'm pulling this apart again, I'm considering going with a Weber Carb and
adapter because the Carter carb has been the bain of my existance since I
purchased the Corvair.  Anybody have a different carb setup in their turbos?

Mike