<VV> 63 fuel leak

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:10:40 -0500

A cold exhaust system will condense a LOT of water out of a flow of exhaust
gasses. Liquid coming out of tailpipe is almost certainly water. Make no
conclusions until system has been running (preferably under load) for at
least half an hour. Tighten the inlet nut (after loosening flare nut going
into it) at the carburetor that has fuel on the outside. Consider new
inlet-nut gasket, preferably aluminum (BMW transmission-drain seal).

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of christopher d
czepyha
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 12:34 AM
To: VirtualVairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 63 fuel leak

Did my mid winter running of the corvairs.  My wifes 63 turned right over
and seemed to be running fine.
The drivers side carb exterior was wet around the gasket (I believe it
was gas), and it looked like gas was dripping out the exhaust.  Smelled
like gas in the area, but the fluid itself smelled like H2O.
Did not have any time to do more investigations.

The car was last started three months ago, and several deep freezes and
warm overs since then.