<VV> 60 Degree Difference!

* Greenbrier Goon * greenbriergoon@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 05:43:06 +0000

WOW!

This past weekend I made some changes on my engine.

I disconnected the remote oil cooler and installed a stock alternator mount
in place of the modified one I had before. (See my webpage for details)

Anyway, the engine oil is only being cooled by a stock "folded fin" oil
cooler and a magnesium fan.  The oil temp has increased by 60 degrees under
regular driving conditions (the same path I take to work every day).

With the remote cooler, the temp would climb to only 150 degrees (a little
too cool).  Without the remote cooler, it has climbed up to 210.

This remote cooler has a built in thermostat, but I don't think it works.

210 is not too hot right now, but the weather is only about 55 degrees
today.  Oil temperature may become a problem when the weather gets up to 115
degrees as it does every Summer around here.

The main reason for removing the remote cooler is that it would be in the
way of the shift linkage when I convert the van to a 4 speed.  I may have to
relocate it someplace else.

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)
1963 Corvair 95 4 Speed (soon to be scrap)

Find great local high-speed Internet access value at the MSN High-Speed