Re <VV> Broken starter nose

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:09:04 -0800

At 2120 02/13/2004 -0700, Wayne Broadhead wrote:
>Garland...your starter nose breakage problem is caused by a bad ring
>gear.  My brother kept breaking starter noses too...until he changed
>the ring gear...walla, the problem was fixed.

I've seen a variety of problems with starter noses, and in here I've heard
of warped ring gears on clutch plates and converters causing similar
problems but every broken starter nose I ever saw myself personally turned
out to have been caused by a off-center flywheel.  This is just what I
personally have seen, maybe I've been lucky.

My manual shift Vairs got bolted flywheels just for gp.

Now:   Question for the group:

A number of years ago, last time was the NC Fall Affair at Modern Chevy in
Winston-Salem, I was seeing a vendor at shows selling flywheels that had
been TIG welded together, looked like a decent job, clean work, good welds.
  I wondered about the potential problems with welding steel to cast
iron... although the vendor said they'd had no troubles to date (then).

Anybody ever see any of these flywheels or use one?

tony..