<VV> 63 Spyder starting problems - an update

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:13:54 EST

----- Original Message ----- From: Jonathan Angier
> 1.  I noticed an exhaust leak where the crossover joins the inlet pipe
> and I've temporarily patched it until I get a crossover pipe (should be
> here Monday).  I do believe this was contributing the my problem.  I
> haven't detected any other leaks but I have the packings to do the
> manifolds when the weather gets a little nicer.

This is a problem..but an air inlet leak causes LEANOUT......not your ptoblem
right now

> 2. I put a fuel pressure regulator on and sent the carb to The
> Carbmeister for adjusting.  So I know now the carb is right.  I have an
> electric choke, but have not installed it.

So  forget about these items!  look for the cause

> 3.  I put new plugs in and a new distributor rotor (it had a  small
> piece broken). The old plugs were relatively new, but appeared to be
> really carbonized and some were wet with gas.  The plug wires are
> relatively new and I haven't changed them because they appear to be
> still fine.

This shows it is RICH

> 4.  I tested the return line and it's working fine.

Good..so carb is [ should be ] fine

> You may recall that I have a high performannce distributor (not a turbo)
> but it has a turbo distributor retard so the distributor is incorrect
> for the engine and the incorrect distributor has an incorrect (for the
> distributor) turbo retard instead of an advance.  (Confused yet???)  I
> also found out that the distributor is installed 180 degrees backwards.
>  I've ordered a turbo distributor from Dale Manufacturing and he expects
> to have one ready pretty soon.  I haven't tried to turn the current
> distributor around and won't.  I'll wait for the new one.

THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM!  IMO!! Methinks YOU are confused! gggg

1  The distributor will work fine at any rpm's , UNTIL  there is boost!  Then
you will find out if it really works or not! [ wait until you put
the"correct" distributor in....it'll be a "dog"  camparitively! IMO]

2  The dist. CANNOT be 180  deg. out.....it won't fit!...the Rotor cannot be
180 out..it WON'T RUN!

3  GET HELP!  you obviously do not understand timing! [ no flame]

4  here's the steps to "static time"..please read 1st......than attempt! ggg

STATIC TIMING A CORVAIR ENGINE

1  Remove #1 sparkplug [ pass. side next to distributor].
2  Insert finger over plug hole
3  " BUMP Crank" engine over until it blows finger out.
4  Rotate Crank pulley /Harmonic Balancer CCW  to align timing marks.
5  Insert distributor so that the VA/PR  diaphram is pointing towards  the
RIGHT TAIL LIGHT[s].

AND:The ROTOR  is pointing at the VA/PR! [  if distributor will not set down
in the engine all the way, use a screw driver to align the "oil pump shaft"
{slotted} with  the distributor shaft {blade}].

6  Install the Dist. cap in place with all wires, etc.., except #1 [
shortest! / near VA/PR ]. Wires go on cap in CW rotation!

7  Turn IGNITION ON  [ do not crank / try to start engine!].

8  Rotate dist. CW  as far as it will go.

9  Holding #1  wire 1/4"  from any metal,  SLOWLY  rotate Dist. CCW until
spark emits from #1 wire!

STOP!!!!!

10  Tighten clampbolt on housing WITHOUT MOVING  ANYTHING!!

YOU are now "INTIME"...and have spark!  DO NOT EVER TOUCH THIS UNTIL AFTER
YOU HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNIG GOOD , IE;  starts, idles, accelerates, high rpms!!

> So here's what's going on:
>
> Now....the car will start right up when it's cold---like only a few
> turnovers, which was unheard of  before, BUT ONLY if I hold the pedal to
> the floor (open the choke).  If the choke is closed, it won't begin to
> fire and gas still comes pouring out the carb bore.

RICH!  wire the choke OPEN

> Once I have it started it won't idle.  Up to about 2,800 rpms, it runs
> like crap, I get lots of gas smoke and gas comes out the carb when it
> gets close to idle speed...definitely getting too much gas.  At about
> 2,800 to 3,000 rpms, it smooths out nicely and runs like a top.  I
> haven't taken it higher than 3,000 because of the incorrect distributor
> on the turbo engine.

Timing is retarded! [ lucky for you you have thais distributor! ]

> I don't know what to do next exceptt to wait for the distributor and
> hope that works.  Also, I can't be completely confident of the timing
> now because it won't idle and the last time I timed it, it was before I
> mistakenly put the retard on (before I knew it was incorrect) and threw
> the old advance away because it was full of gas when I took it off and I
> figured there's no way I would need it for antyhhing.

TIMING  is your problem!