<VV> Re: 63 Spyder Starting

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:47:48 -0500

Subject: <VV> 63 Spyder starting problems - an update
----------------big snip------------
> Now....the car will start right up when it's cold---like only a few
> turnovers, which was unheard of  before, BUT ONLY if I hold the
> pedal to the floor (open the choke).  If the choke is closed, it won't
begin
> to fire and gas still comes pouring out the carb bore.
-----------------snip---------------
Smitty says:  Jonathan, at the top of the carb to the right of the air
cleaner clamp and above the choke housing there is a carb plug facing you
about 5/16 diameter.  Pull it out.  Look down inside the angled tube it
was in.  See the hole on the left side.  Get a piece of 1/4 tubing 4-6
inches long and push it down in the hole far enough to go beyond the hole
down inside.  Run a hose from that tube to a can or bucket.  What you
have done is provide an external vent for the carb bowl.  If, when you
start the engine you have fuel running out of the hose then you have a
float, float valve needle or seat, or casting problem which is not
allowing you to shut off incoming fuel and you can stop looking beyond
that area.  If no fuel comes out the hose then your problem is elsewhere.
        This may not help much except for breaking the problem into a
smaller catagory