<VV> A Better Oil Container?

Ron RBlachut@adelphia.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:09:32 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi Charles,

If you are referring to the drain pan that also serves as a container, I
gave up on one after using it once because the funnel shape was not deep
enough to prevent oil from splashing.

I now use, and have for years, a plastic wash basin(bigger is better)
available in hardware or dollar stores to catch the oil.

To store and transport the used oil I use a five gallon oil jug that you can
get used(free) from Chinese restaurants, diners etc.  I use enough peanut
oil for frying turkeys, potatoes and the like that I buy five gallon
containers of peanut oil for about $30-35 at Costco, Sam's or BJs.  They
come in corrugated boxes and, with the built-in handle on the plastic jug,
it is easy to carry.

A large plastic funnel makes it easy to transfer from the basin to the jug.
To prevent any mess or smell from the used oil in the basin or funnel, I
store them in a plastic bag.

If you have the car jacked up high enough you can get an oil drain such as
this one from Eagle: http://66.113.231.142/Merchant2/merchant
mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=612-101  Another option is an 18 gallon version
for about $75.  These are always available on Ebay.  Do a search for "Oil
Drain" and a number of them will be displayed.

Regards,

Ron Blachut
Queensbury, NY 12804
Member CORSA, Virtual Vairs, Fastvair