<VV> Re: Welded FW's

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:51:46 -0800

At 1105 02/14/2004 -0500, UltraMonzaWest@aol.com wrote:
>> A number of years ago, last time was the NC Fall Affair at Modern Chevy in
>> Winston-Salem, I was seeing a vendor at shows selling flywheels that had
>> been TIG welded together, looked like a decent job, clean work, good welds.
>>   I wondered about the potential problems with welding steel to cast
>> iron... although the vendor said they'd had no troubles to date (then).
>> Anybody ever see any of these flywheels or use one?
>> tony
>
>That's all I ever saw in the 70's1   Local mech. had a jig.......Ni-rod'd
>them....never knew of a failure.. $15!!  10 minutes...
>
>Matt Nall

The guy I talked to was pleased with the ones he had, and said he'd stack
them up against bolted anyday.  If the welding was done right I suspect the
things would hang together well, and avoid the problems with bolt heads
getting in the way of things etc.

Maybe somebody should offer this sort of service again...  since such welds
are relatively easy to do, considering, and there are still a lot of
flywheels out there that remain riveted together.   Just make sure they're
round, a bit of hammer tapping, mic 'em out, clamp and weld.

Matt...   when you say nickel rod, are we talking about the same sort of
stick welding I've seen done on cast iron?   The welds I saw on these
flywheels was first rate, slick and smooth and very precise, each spot was
about the size/shape of a grain of rice, closely spaced together and
bridging the distance between the inertia ring, flex plate, and flywheel.
It looked like it had been done by somebody who knew their business.

tony..