<VV> Turbo Carb leaking very bad!

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:18:30 -0500

I had a turbo carb float fail just before this summer's CORSA convention in
Carlisle.  The car was a bit hard starting (harder than usual for a turbo),
and I smelled some gasoline.  I had my wife stand back and watch the engine
when I tried starting it and she called out that gasoline was leaking out
-- EVERYWHERE!

Luckily no fires, but lots of gasoline all over the top of the engine.  We
got out the rags and towels and cleaned up the spilled gasoline, then I
pulled the top of the carb.  The float had flooded and there was nothing to
stop the fuel pump from just dumping gas in until it found somewhere else
to go.

The float had (and still has) a crack in the solder joint between the upper
and lower halves at one corner.  This float, just as all the others out
there, had been fine for 38+ years.  I assume the solder gets brittle with
time, so maybe it would be a good idea to reflow all the solder on those
well tested used ones...  The crack is impossible to see, but the gasoline
inside leaks out at one point on the corner.

Everything turned out fine.  I have a couple of spares, so popped another
one it, adjusted the float height and drop, and buttoned it all back
up.  In spite of having almost no time to clean the car up for the Concours
since my wife Marolyn and I spent all our time doing registration, we still
managed to score 97+ points.  (We had prepp'ed the car at home but drove it
up to Carlisle (~150 miles) and had the fuel leak on the morning we were
leaving -- not the best way to start a national...)

Oh yes, all the turbo carb floats are interchangeable.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, '66 Corsa turbo