<VV> rough running, loss of power at WOT

Dave Keillor dkeillor@ultrex.com
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:06:17 -0600

Dan,

I had a very similar problem and finally traced it down to bad plug wires.
It sure wasn't my first guess!  On the plus side, I did end up with rebuilt
carbs!

Dave Keillor

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kinzelman [mailto:dankinzelman@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 3:50 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> rough running, loss of power at WOT

Most of you know I've been experiencing rough running (feels like a miss)
and severe loss of power at throttle openings greater than approximately
50%.  I recently discovered with the assistance of someone running a red
light that my car behaves as I think it should all the way to WOT when the
engine has been running for only a very short time.  In other words, full
throttle response was smooth and fast while the engine was still cold.  I
presume this is due to the closed chokes enriching the mixture, indicating
that the engine runs rough due to leaning out when the chokes are open.  I
have since been able to duplicate this experience of full power availability

only when the car is cold (ambient temp from about 60-70).  Once it's warmed

up, the rough running and loss of acceleration reappears.  Let me know if
you agree with my assessment (I'm considering rebuilding the carbs, but I
don't yet have the parts).  If I do rebuild, should I swap jets, and if so,
what size?  I have no idea what jets are in the car now.  Thanks.

Dan