<VV> Performance Engine Mods

Dave Keillor dkeillor@ultrex.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:16:11 -0600

Here's the story on the low mileage 140hp '69 engine:  It's out of my low
mileage '69 coupe which I bought new.  The car has been sitting in my garage
for about 30 years while I've been playing with other Corvairs (and living
in Japan for awhile).  Now it's time to bring the car back to life and I've
got the engine out of the car to do some engine and engine comparment
detailing.  While I have the engine out of the car, I thought I might like
to add a little more power.

The car is all numbers matching (I checked -- who knows what GM might have
done to the last of the Corvairs -- they certainly didn't do a good job of
assembling this one).  However, I am at work and the car is at home, so I
can't tell you the engine number off-hand (the car is in the '69 registry).

Bob Helt suggested I sell the engine, but I don't want to separate it from
an all-original, very well-optioned car.  I don't think that would be right.
My guess is that this is one of the best optioned, low-mileage '69s around.
It has 140hp, posi, hd suspension, telescoping column, rear defrost, rear
speaker, light group, and a few other things I can't remember.  It has the
slow steering, but I've got a good quick box for it.  The car is rust-free
and the undercarriage has been sandblasted, primed, painted, and undercoated
(shouldn't have done the later).

So, I guess I'll keep the engine original and put it back pretty much as-is.
If, after I get it back on the road, I want more power, I'll pick up a core
for rebuilding.1

Thanks for your feedback.

Dave