[VV-talk] Re: <VV> General comment Re: Mr. Nader...

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:22:10 -0800

At 2229 02/23/2004 -0500, airvair wrote:
>Remember, a vote for Ralph is a vote for Bush. Therefore, I propose that
>everyone that intends to vote for Bush (again) should instead vote for
>Ralph. (G)
>
>-Mark

In all seriousness, when they run the petitions in VA to accumulate
signatures to get Ralph on the ballot, I intend to add my name to that
petition if it runs by my door.   Ralph is running as an independent and in
VA this may be a problem... seems he's gonna have to obtain a list of
signatures via petitions to submit in order for VA to consider him a valid
candidate for office, what with not being sponsored by a major (?)
political party like the GOP or Dems or Greens etc. although I'm not so
sure the Greens are a 'major' political entity.  In any event, I think that
VA requires that any independent candidate (or the representatives of same)
for Prez must submit a petition(s) containing at least 400,000 signatures
(cumulative) in order to qualify for addition to the ballot.  With 100
counties in VA, this comes out to an average of 4000 Nader fans per county.
 Here where I live, with an estimated appx 100,000 people of voting age in
the metro area, that means one out of twenty-five would need to sign a
petition.   I'd wager nearly half would tell the petitioners to go f**k
themselves, a quarter would laugh and slam the door, about 10% would
politely say "no thanks I gave at the office", about half of what's left
would be completely uninterested either way and the rest would likely
sign... if for no other reason than to simply say that they did, which
would likely leave around 5000 signatures on the petitions, enough to get
Ralphie on the ballot.

So, all my fellow VA citizen, lets sign those petitions to get Nader on the
ticket when those Independent candidate campaign workers come a knockin'.

Make Kerry sweat early...

tony..   no problem wearing a NADER bumper sticker on one of my Vairs