<VV> EM Rear Axle Bearing (1963-64 style)

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:20:26 -0800

At 0140 02/24/2004 -0500, Robert  Hawley wrote:
>Howdy All,  has anyone ever heard of a rear axle bearing with the brand name
>of "L & S"?

I recall something about L&S Bearings from another list...  was told that
L&S was a supplier for Western Auto from Back When, actually made by the
same outfit that does Timkin bearings today if what I heard is correct.
It's supposed to be decent stuff from what I understand.

Now:  This was what I was told by somebody who said he knew.   Anyone else
with better info, please chime in.

>buy one NOS,  but am wary given the reputation of the "Green" bearing.  Any

The Green brand bearings got their bad press not because of the lack of
quality but because it was simply the wrong bearing.  It was a flat sleeve
style roller bearing that did not swivel on the inner race, which means it
would bind up when the rear suspension was moved through its normal range
of travel and the bearing would fail quickly because it couldn't swivel and
allow the axle to move off-axis without binding up.

To insure the bearing is right, simply stick a thumb through the inner race
and see if the outer housing will wobble in all directions.  If it does,
clean/grease the bearing and press it onto the axle and install it on car.
 And I do mean clean and re-grease it first... it's probably still
containing decades-old grease that's likely pretty dried out by now.

tony..