<VV> sending unit

Keith Hammett khammett@stainlessfab.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:27:10 -0600

Group I found a solution to my sending unit.  I will be able to upgrade to a
new universal sending unit (0-90 ohm) with the addition of a 47 ohm resistor
placed in parallel with the rheostat. This will simplify the making of a
stainless gas tank for the fc.  Behold the Power of the Internet.

Here is the tip:

Using Modern Gas Tank Senders with Early Guages " Chevrolet (and GMC) used
0-30 ohm gastank sending units until 1965 (1966 for trucks). After that
time, they went to the current 0-90 ohm style sending unit. To use the newer
style sending unit (say, after a gastank swap or upgrade) you need a 1 watt
(minimum) 47 ohm resistor connected in parallel on the sending unit. This is
done by soldering the resistor between the terminal post where the sending
unit wire connects and the metal base of the sending unit. This effectively
lowers the resistance to the needed 0-30 ohm for the early gauges". Mike
Peterman (mike@brotherstruck.com)

I found it on:  http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/oddbits.htm

Keith Hammett