<VV> Corvair that was in the water

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <corvair@fnader.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:36:04 -0600

I bought a '64 convertible that was submerged in Hurricane Hugo back in '89.  I got it about a week after the water subsided. (This is likely a LOT more
severe than the car on Ebay).... and it was a project car to start with.

The good news? Trunk was filled with NOS bits from Clarks, many of which were not damaged by the water.

The bad news? The engine was filled with sand and silt. Though the body was not too bad, rust exploded despite my best attempts to rinse out all of the salt
water.

You think sandblasting a car is bad? This car had every nook and cranny filled with salty sand. Everything that could seize did.

In the end, I parted the car out.... 90% of the value came from the parts in the trunk.

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD