<VV> Carburetor rebuilding question

Russell Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:25:59 -0500

As I was looking through the Corvair parts on sale in eBay tonight, I ran
across the rebuilt carbs that Grant has on sale there.  I mentioned that it
was a great deal and that I thought I would bid on them, since I was
planning on sending him mine to have rebuilt anyway.  She was quick to point
out, as only a wife can, that she thought I had said this was going to be
your project.  You have already sent the heads out to be repaired, (like I
have a machine shop) and now I was going to have the carbs rebuilt by
someone.  She also so reminded me that I have rebuilt a number of carbs
before and never needed them to be sent out.  I tried to explain that I had
never had a carb that wept gas around the throttle shaft and I didn't know
how much was involved with fixing such a problem.

So to keep peace, I guess I'm going to give it a try.  My questions is:  How
much trouble is it to replace these throttle shafts?  The car only has
87,000 original miles.  Since I've read, that the wear is on the throttle
shaft and not the carb body, is that all I need to replace>  I've seen
packing sold, what is it used for and how is it used?  I need to hear what
works and what doesn't and if any special tool are required.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Kent Island, MD