<VV> Carburetor rebuilding question

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:05:23 EST

corvair65@verizon.net writes:
My questions is:  How
much trouble is it to replace these throttle shafts?  The car only has
87,000 original miles.  Since I've read, that the wear is on the throttle
shaft and not the carb body, is that all I need to replace>  I've seen
packing sold, what is it used for and how is it used?
Russ,
You are correct that it is the shafts that wear the fastest and most.
Usually replacing the shafts with new ones is fairly easy and solves the problem.
When you order the new shafts, also order replacement brass throttle plate
screws as the old ones are prone to break when removing them.  It's just a good
idea to put new ones in when you have the throttle shaft out.  I recommend you
replace only one shaft at a time so you can refer to the other one if you
forget which way the shaft or plate go back in.  The seals you refer to are really
meant for use in very dirty environments like on a dune buggy.  Not necessary
on a street driven car.  IMHO

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA