<VV> Re:carb shafts

GYoungwolf@aol.com GYoungwolf@aol.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:56:36 EST

As to whether you should buy rebuilt carbs or replace the shafts, your wife
is definitely wrong on this one. You should buy them from me :-). But, if she
wears the pants in the family, then here is my advise.... You will have to
check the clearance between the shaft and body once you install new ones with a
dial indicator. You should have no more than .001"-.002" for a decent "seal".
(this will tell you whether your carb body is worn). The clearance will decrease
slightly as the metals heat up. Or you can also simply install bushings and
use your old shafts (be sure the bushings extend beyond the worn portion of the
shaft. When checking your clearances, but sure to check in all directions,
since the shafts always seem to wear on one side. Hope this helps, but you
really should have them rebuilt professionally.....
My questions is:  How much trouble is it to replace these throttle shafts?
The car only has 87,000 original miles.  Since I've read, that the wear is on
the throttle
shaft and not the carb body, is that all I need to replace>