<VV> Re: Universal Sender Unit

John Beck jb30343@navix.net
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:26:20 -0600

I'm no electronics wizard Keith.  I was just guessing that since the
universal sender has roughly 3 times the resistance of the original, a
300% linear amplification of the voltage getting to the gauge should
make things more or less correct.  I've been using 3140 op amps in
another project lately and they seem to be pretty forgiving of my ham
fisted approach to electronics design.  A 3140 and 2 resistors would
make a simple linear amp.  That, plus a filtering capacitor would easily
fit on a tiny circuit board hidden behind the dash.  I think you can get
single 3140's at Radio Shack for about a buck.

Granted, it's not 1960's technology.  IC op amps didn't become common
until the 70's.  I suppose the circuit could be built using 60's vintage
transistors.