<VV> Gas Gauge: Resistor Won't Work

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:53:06 -0500

Group:
The 47-ohm jumper across a 90-ohm variable resistor will NOT provide a
usable gas-gauge function. I revised my calculations of last night on this
subject to correct a mistaken translation of the circuit to a formula, and
the results now show that, at half-full, the gauge will read (slightly
beyond) full (or empty, depending on whether resistance rises or falls with
level of fuel in the tank). The peak error is at 50% (half full), and the
error there is over 100% (full-or-empty).
     I've attached the spreadsheet showing the calculations, but it will, of
course, reach only Charles Morgan, not the list.
     If anybody has tried this "fix," or expects to try it in the near
future, I'd love to hear from you as to how it goes, on the list or off.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/vnd]