<VV> Starter woes

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:07:18 EST

       How about measuring the current (amps) drain on the battery when the
starter is activated?  You can use one of those cheap meters that clamps on
(or
simply snaps on) the cable from the battery.  And, at the same time, put a
voltmeter on the battery posts (not the cable ends) to see how much the
battery
supply voltage drops when you energize the starter.  I would expect to see
about 150 amps flowing and the battery voltage to drop to not less than 10
volts.
       Let us know what you find.
       Frank "measure before disassembly" Burkhard

Thanks..did just that ...180  amps.....11.6 vdc...steady......both at the
posts and solinoid terminals!

My BIG question:  why....when 24vdc was applied ..did it not spin faster?

The "most likely" reasoning so far.....since this starter is "adapted" to the
VW  starter mount..via an adapter "setscrewed" to the remains of the Vair
"Snout"....might be crooked...

guess who knew this???  ggg