<VV> bad car smell-not a Corvair

Mark blaskovich@jps.net
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:42:16 -0800

Hi, I am putting car back on the road that has been sitting since 1982.  It
has been stored always covered, mostly inside.  Mechanicals are complete, as
are new seat covers and carpet.  However, the car still has a rodent smell in
it and if it sits in the sun with the windows up, the smell can get so bad you
can't even sit in the car.

It is pretty clear that mice and/or rats had gotten into the car, but no
damage was done, and very little evidence of them even being inside the car
was visible.  I guess it pretty much smells like "rat pee"???  I thought that
when the carpets were replaced the smell would go away.  Not.  I guess this is
similar to when a car is smoked in.  The odor gets into all fabrics,
headliner, etc.

Any ideas on how to remove this odor?  I had a car that had a damp/moldy smell
inside at one time and I put a bag of apples in the car.  I guess the apples
absorbed? the smell and somewhat freshened the inside.

Any help would be appreciated.  This is a pretty neat car that we are anxious
to get on the road.

regards,
Mark
'66 Corsa 140 convertible (smells fine)