<VV> EM Rear Axle Bearing

corvairs lonwall@corvairunderground.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:40:52 -0800

Hi Larry! (He really does exist!) - You're not going to tell me that you
don't know the answer to this one? You've been in business as long as I
have.
If I may speculate.........it has been occassionally suggested that
Green bearings "will work" on Corvairs - but..... That's like saying
 you can drink a certain amount of rubbing alcohol and not get poisoned.
The questions is  - "Why?".

Without the spherical abilities of a correct Corvair bearing (As with
the incorrect Green) you might get limited use  from  such a bearing. If
you get the bearing for free, the installation for free, the towing bill
home when the bearing fails for free, then you only have the aggravation
 and inconvenience (And possible risk of injury) to take into account.
Oh yeah, a Green bearing could be really hard on your u joints as well.

If you had a rear backing plate/suspension arm that moved in a perfect
fixed arc, without any fore and aft movement, then  a Green bearing
would be just fine (I think). But that is not the case with a Corvair.
The correct Corvair rear axle bearing is a VERY expensive bearing to
produce  (Why no one has reproduced them yet) - the Green is much
cheaper to make. Why did the factory feel the need for a double
spherical bearing then?

Selling Green bearings for Corvair use ain't  kosher, Sarge (With
apologies to Firesign Theater)  Lon

www.corvairunderground.com