<VV> Yenko Stinger - in General

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:02:56 -0500

> Hate to jump in on this... but it's pretty accepted that
> owning the number is owning a REAL Stinger.

As a former Stinger owner, I feel jumping in. One problem is that there is no such CAR as a Yenko Stinger. Yenko Stingers were sold out of Yenko's shop as Corvairs by their GM serial numbers. - They had a dealer installed Package - one of several - but it was a package. The titles I have seen were listed as Chevrolet as the manufacturer. Your state may differ. If the things that make the car a Stinger, such as the "Yenko Sportscars" ID plate are present, It is a "Stinger". There are two important items that make it quite different than the Shelby Mustangs. ONE - Yenko would convert a Corvair (65-up) in his shop if you asked and TWO - and this is the big one - You could buy a kit through the mail from Yenko Sportscars to convert your own Corvair. This kit included a  "Yenko Sportscars" ID plate - with it's own serial number. That pretty much sanctions you to create you own "Stinger". And that kit could be installed on any "Chevrolet Serial Numbered" Corvair. Now - If you want to claim an "Original Numbers Match Yenko Stinger" and claim it to be one of the original 100 cars, you can! (If you can prove it.) But a rebody of one of those cars is exactly as much of a Stinger as any Kit adapted Corvair - and no more. - Seth Emerson