<VV> Saturday Wrenching

aircooled6@prodigy.net aircooled6@prodigy.net
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:19:45 -0600

I finally got a decent day where I could spend a few hours and a few $$ on
the cars.  Fisrt up, the Steering was getting a little loose on my 67 4dr
(Daily Driver), so, I figured it was time for a new Pitman Bushing.   But, I
thought Id look under there and see if anything else was worn while I was at
it.  Glad I did.  The Pitman Arm bushing was fine.  Well, sort of.  The
cotter key had broken off and the nut had come loose on the bushing bolt and
the bushing and bolt had moved most of the way out of the hole in the relay
rod and the pitman arm and the castle nut was only about 3 threads from
departing the vehicle.  Now THAT would have been an adventure on the
freeway!!!!

All snug with nice new very large cotter key installed.  I think the old one
was too small and got worn thru.  I found a small piece still inside the
bolt hole.

Otherwise, a nice fresh filter and fresh oil and a top off of the PG and I
should be good for a while.

Now, if I can just get to the Greenbrier in the garage some time this
spring.......

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX