<VV> '66 coil spring tags -- need your help!

Kent Sullivan kentsu@corvairkid.com
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:40:13 -0800

Hi folks,

I am working on reproducing the coil spring tags for '66 Corvairs. The tags
located so far have the same layout: the part number (7 digits) in smaller
type on the first line and a two-letter code in larger type on the second
line. These two pieces of info are repeated down the length of the tag.

My thought is that the two-letter codes (which do not appear in any
reference book I have) were for use by the assembly line workers, to
facilitate quick selection of the correct parts from the bins as the cars
came down the line for assembly. Two letters = easier to see and remember
than seven digits and the larger font size of the letters also made them
easier to see.

In any case, I have so far been able to locate a few original tags but am
lacking many still. If anyone can provide examples of the missing tags
(specifically the two letter codes), please advise!

There are three dimensions to the info below:

1) front vs. rear
2) standard vs. heavy duty (RPO F41)
3) coupe & sedan vs. convertible

As you can see, currently I know the front (HE) & rear (HB) codes for a
convertible equipped with standard suspension. I also know the rear code
(HA) for a coupe/sedan equipped with standard suspension. (One could guess
that the corresponding front code is HD but it's risky to assume that!)

Note: -37 denotes a Monza convertible and -67 denotes a Corsa convertible.

Front                                     Tag Letter Code
=====                                     ===============
Standard (all exc. -37 & -67): 3857688
Heavy Duty (all exc. -37 & -67): 3875088
Standard (-37 & -67): 3857690                   HE
Heavy Duty (-37 & -67): 3875089

Rear                                      Tag Letter Code
====                                      ===============
Standard (all exc. -37 & -67): 3859201          HA
Heavy Duty (all exc. -37 & -67) 3875090
Standard (-37 & -67): 3859202                   HB
Heavy Duty (-37 & -67): 3875091

Also, in the three examples found to date, the rear tags have black letters
on a white background while the front tag has white lettering on a black
background. Perhaps this difference was to help ensure front and rear
springs were not mis-installed.

Thanks,

--Kent