Subject: <VV> 'Breviations

Michael Nott wnott@cfl.rr.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:26:05 -0500

Yes, but mine refers to the tool we use to exchange this information.

'Puter

Mike Nott
Orlando

Yesterday, Seth Emerson forwarded an amusing story of a guy trying to get
his Camaro into and out of his driverway in the snow and ice.  In that
story, the guy from time to time referred to his car as his 'Maro.

Eww.  My ears hurt.  I've never particularly liked abbreviated car names,
and it is a phenomenon that seems to affect Chevrolets particularly. 'Vette.
'Vair.  I've even seen, in print, 'Velle.  God help me, I've even seen 'Bu.
Yech.  But this was my first encounter with 'Maro.

A friend used to like to boast that he drove a 'Vette.  He did.  A Chevette.

As the editor of my local club's newsletter, I'm fairly aggressive about
editing out "Vair" and replacing it with "Corvair."  I'll admit, it's a
personal quirk.  There are other chapters that use "Vair" in the club name,
and still more that use "Vair" in the newsletter name.  It's a cute pun at
times, such as Vair Force and Vair Mail, but it still creeps me out. Anyone
else bothered by this?

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
avanti@carroll.com