<VV> Citing the Car Sightings

Ken Wildman kwildman@postoffice.onu.edu
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:17:50 -0500

Bob has opened a Pandora's box here (or 'dora's box for some).

Since his abbreviated plea for eliminating abbrev.s hasn't drawn the sight
of the Net Nazi, yet, I will cite my own pet peeve (a small rascal) about
the incorrect citing of sightings when the site of the sighting is seldom
cited.

It's simple folks (and can be sighted in the appropriate tech manual).

When you see something, it can be quite a sight.  But you wouldn't call it
a sight for saw eyes, rather a sight for sore eyes.

In a similar (jugular) vein, when you cite (or quote or refer to) you are
making a citation, not a sighting nor even a site-ing.

When you place the sighting at a given location, you've sited it.  At that
site, and no other.

My '66 Convertible is sited in my Garage, and it can be sighted there if
you come to visit.  And you can cite me on that.

Sorry if I seem to be *exsighted* about this.   <GGGG>

Ken