<VV> Re: Matching Engine Numbers

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Mon, 31 May 2004 21:42:52 EDT

   I understand everybody's points on this subject.  My point was that it's
becoming a numbers correct thing more so these days than ever before in
Corvairland.   It might not matter if you're buying an everyday driver for $2000
where numbers matching was of little importance.  Hypothetically though, if you or
I were in the market for a low mileage original 66 Corsa convertible I bet
we'd want to be armed with all the info we could possibly have to make an
educated decision before laying out over $10 G's.  Who wouldn't be under that car
checking for the "as reported" posi diff code and correct delco spiral shocks?
I know it's not an every day thing and most of us aren't in the market for
that type of car but hey, ya never know!  Mass hysteria!...dogs and cats living
together!...Seth buying EM's! ;^)
   If there is a degree to which this type of nit picking is acceptable then
I am admittedly way over the edge.  I'm gonzo over yellow dabs of paint on
original delco spiral shocks. I'm also a realist in knowing that 97% of Corvairs
will never reach the lofty heights reserved for such things as Corvettes or
other high end collector cars where factory correctness gets crazy.  Still, I
hope to someday restore a Corvair to such exacting standards (or substandards)
even if I'm the only one who appreciates it.  It's been a fun topic and I've
really enjoyed all of your comments.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe