<VV> Matching engine numbers

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:24:32 EDT

Craig,

Amen to that.  I don't think that the Corvair collector will ever get to the
same point as the Corvette collector when it comes to "numbers matching" and I
am grateful for that.  I am sure that there are a fair share of retentive
individuals who own Corvairs and there is a much higher percentage with Vettes.
However, it is more a financial issue than it is just being retentive.  It is
rare to find a Corvair that sells at the 5 figure level and those rare
instances don't go too far into that realm.  It is very rare to find a 50s or 60s
Vette that is more than a wreck that goes for less than $15,000.  To take a nice
Vette driver worth around $25 - $30,000 and add $10 - $15,000 to make it a
true numbers matching car could increase its value to $60,000 or more.  The
"upgrade" to your Corvair might cost $5 - $8000 but you wouldn't recoup the cost,
at least not by a large margin.  Of course, these numbers depend on what you
start out with.  Even if our cars become more "collectable" to the general
market, it won't ever be by a big jump.  This has to do with many things but the
most important is the quantities.  My 1960 Vette is one of 10,261 built.  There
were over 250,000 Corvairs built in 1960.  Personally, I prefer my cars to be
as close to original as possible but I am not rabid about it even with my
Vette.  I agree that becoming too retentive takes a lot of the fun out of the
hobby.  JMHO.  Presently, only 2 of my cars have their original engines and I am
sure that most of the other parts are a mixed bag.

Doc  (4 Corvairs but only 1 Vette)
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa; '67 Nova SS;
'68 Camaro ragtop