<VV> A/C Condensers & Fans

Mikeamauro@aol.com Mikeamauro@aol.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:41:16 EDT

Snip...I guess I don't quite understand what's going on here. I've had my '67

A/C Monza for twenty years. I've never had a problem with the A/C that
helper fans would have solved. Why, when you have all the inlet air for
the engine flowing through the condenser, do you need any more fans?...Snip

If you are still using R-12, no problem.  However, if converting to 134a, you
will not have enough (stock) condenser (at least not in warm southern
climates). 134a head pressures--even with modern parallel flow condensers--run head
pressures about 30% higher than R-12.  Add that reality to a less than adequate
stock R-12-type condenser, and a stock Corvair system will not cool
consistently well with 134a.  The key is to insure good subcooling at the
TXV...subcooling means there is nothing but liquid refrigerant being fed through the TXV
into the evaporator....liquid refrigerant absorbs bunches of heat,,,flash vapor,
next to none. The easiest way to insure good performance using 134a with a
stock condenser: move more air across the condenser (via electric fans), thus
removing more heat from the condenser.
Mike Mauro