<VV> Corvair at VIR Gold Cup Historics wk/e 11-13 Jun.

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:33:41 -0400

Folks,
	I am taking #89 to the vintage races at VIR in a week.  If you go to
the following link, there are two nice articles under News Releases, about
women drivers being honored, with Denise McCluggage being the Grand Marshal
and a nice bit on Donna Mae Mims, of "Think Pink" fame.  For those that are
unaware, Donna Mae was the first woman to win an SCCA Championship driving a
H Prod? Sprite in 1963, I believe.  She worked with Don Yenko and drove
Stingers as well.  The press releases are dated 26 May and 18 May, I think.
The Yenko Stinger is mentioned.

http://www.virclub.com/news/news_press_releases.html#

There is also a car show at the Pavilion-right outside the Paddock-go to
www.virclub.com to see specifics and obtain entry form.  BTW, paddock/pits
are open to all.  Come in and walk around and ask questions for the various
car owners/drivers.  Everyone is open and friendly.

The #89 GT3 "Yenko Stinger" - 66 Corvair - will be on treaded tires running
in Group F with Camaros, Mustangs, Cobras, Porsches, etc.  The Sunoco Camaro
is usually there-he runs 8000 rpm down the straight.  The long straights
hurt us, where big hp and 5th gears help others and I top out in the 140s.
Generally, these events have a practice/qualifying session each morning and
afternoon; Saturday afternoon practice is a race; Sun am is a warm up
without lap times; and Sun afternoon is the "feature" race.  All lap times
count toward best time to figure grid position.  Some races use lap time in
qual. race same as a practice session for grid position on Sun; others use
finishing position on Sat to determine grid on Sun.

Doug Macintosh from South Boston is coming over.  Donna Mae will be around
along with her friend Mary Lou who raced on dirt tracks.  Donna Mae will be
in Pink!  Divina Galica, VP at Skip Barber, Driving Instr, accomplished
racer and down hill skier will probably come by as well.

Y'all come on over and visit.  I hope to be located roughly in the middle of
the paddock, slightly to the left as you come in; white box trailer, white
canopy/awning and Dark Gray Crew Cab.  Plus, during the day, a Yenko Stinger
flag!  I intend to be there Thurs am thru Sun afternoon. Hotel is Comfort
Inn in Danville-used to be a HoJo - where we had the Racers' Reunion a
couple of years ago.

Everyone is welcome to come and sit down and relax, have a cold drink, maybe
a snack or two, leave extra stuff at the trailer while you walk around.  I
should have track maps to show good spectating spots available as well.

Chuck S
YS73
GT3 89
BBRT