<VV> Denise McCluggage

Wrsssatty@aol.com Wrsssatty@aol.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:53:08 EDT

<I am taking #89 to the vintage races at VIR in a week.  If you go to
> the following link, there are two nice articles under News Releases, about
> women drivers being honored, with Denise McCluggage being the Grand
Marshal>

Interesting.  Denise McCluggage around '63 wrote a magazine article entitled;
"The Gentle Art of Driving the Corvair."  Quoted out of context it became
exhibit B in the Corvair chapter of Unsafe At Any Speed.  Exhibit A, of course,
was Rose Pierini's severed arm.  Ms McCluggage was later called upon to explain
her words when the Senate subcommitte investigated the NHTSA investigation.
(Yes, that's right, the investigation was investigated--at Mr. Nader's
insistence).  Bet she never expected to attract such attention when she first sat
down to bang on her typewriter about driving the Corvair!

Bill Stanley