<VV> Re: AC Fan Flow

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:11:50 -0400

,
> Mikeamauro@aol.com writes:
> Snip...Well, there is an issue here. A Corvair cooling fan doesn't
> move anywhere near the same amount of air as a waterpumper fan.
Furthermore, at
> idle, things really get poor. The tradeoff is a Corvair cooling fan
develops a
> LOT more pressure, but at the end of the day, air flow is what counts
for a
> condenser.
Smitty says:  I have no intention of arguing with a bunch of pros, but I
do have an observation to make from a Jackleg point of view.  Yes the
waterpumper fan moves a lot of air.  The Vair fan doesn't move as much
air because it isn't designed to  Its function is to drive air past the
restriction of the cooling fins and is working against a lot of pressure
all the time..  Remove that restriction as in the case of the relatively
free flowing evap core of a waterpumper radiator and AC condenser and I
think you will find a lot of air moving there.  Never try to ignore the
laws of physics concerning velocity and pressure