<VV> A/C

Rusty Rose vairboy2001@yahoo.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:35:12 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for chiming in so late on this thread, but I've
been busy busy testing our new A/C kits, and I wanted
to finish before jumping in!

Comments within...

---------------
>Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 09:02:33 -0500
>From: Stephen Upham <contactsmu@sbcglobal.net>

>I have a '65 Monza with factory A/C <snip> What are
>the advantages/disadvantages of changing to the '66
>style condenser.

Size, looks, engine access, weight, ease of install...

>Does
>it cool as well as or better than the '65 and does it
>keep the engine
>cooler because it does not cover the engine?

In the engineering world, "better" is a little tough
to quantify!  I have not run specific test on the
stock '65 unit, but I suspect that a '66-67 unit does
not make huge changes either way based strictly on
performance.  Covering the engine or not should not
have any real affect on engine cooling in a Corvair
setup.

>Would it be expensive and
>could a non-mechanic, such as myself, handle it.

Sure you can.  4 bolts are all that hold a '66-67
condenser on.  If you are still running a regulator,
you will need to rotate it out of the way.  Some '65s
even have small dimples that mark where to drill the 4
holes.  It will take you longer to remove the 65
condenser and brackets than it will take you to
install the '66-67!  Cost is low ($150 buck gets you a
brand new unit that is engineered specifically for
R-134... shameless plug!)

>This is a nice car,
>but I'm not looking to keep in stock in every way
>just so I can say
>it's stock if it makes sense to change something, ie
>dual master
>cylinder and nicer, safer, and more comfortable
>seats, ect.

>Stephen Upham
>Dallas, Texas

Updating your factory A/C to work with modern R-134 is
an upgrade worth doing.

=====
Rusty Rose
www.rustysonline.com