<VV> Battery Tender Problems

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:09:25 -0400

I bought a "BatteryMINDer", made by VDC Electronics a couple of months
ago. Before doing so, I researched the subject some. I looked at the
"Battery Tender Plus" too. As I recall, VDC's web page,
www.vdcelectronics.com, convinced me that the "BatteryMINDer" might be
a bit better. The principal feature difference is that the
"BatteryMINDer" has the ability to de-sulphate a battery. I had never
heard of this before, but after reading about it, I decided there may
be some merit to it. I emailed VDC a question and they gave a very
positive reply. They guaranteed me that their unit was better than the
"Battery Tender Plus". I get the feeling Delran pioneered these "smart"
chargers but that, perhaps, VDC has improved on the design. Mine has
been blinking away since I bought it, keeping my riding mower's battery
as good as new (I hope).

For those of you not familiar with these devices, these are not the
same as a simple battery charger that keeps on charging. These shut off
and monitor the charge. They are designed, not so much to charge a dead
battery, but to maintain one. They seem to be ideal for maintaining
batteries that are seldom used. They are not cheap; mine was $49.99 at
Northern.

Bruce

tire size expert - not battery charger expert

On Jun 2, 2004, at 10:32 PM, Phil Fairman wrote:

> Wanted to "poll" the group on experience with the "Battery Tender
> Plus" from
> the Delran Corp. My first one lasted abour 2 years, the second one
> lasted less
> than a year...anyone have experience with this? Is there an
> alternative? I'm
> hesitant to send another one back, pay the $15+ "handling charge"
> again for a
> 3rd failure. Is there a better quality battery tender available?
> Nothing in
> Hemmings other than this brand.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil Fairman