<VV> Re:added fans to 66-67 condensor - my thoughts/experiments

aircooled6@prodigy.net aircooled6@prodigy.net
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:01:27 -0500

Here is my thought on the fan issue.  At low speeds, my 67 (stock on r-12)
blows "luke cool" air.  On the freeway (60 plus) it is icy cold.

I added a 9 inch fan on the left side.   Now at idle, I get noticeably
cooler air out of the vents. Not as cool as hiway speeds, but my the
calibrated skin on the back of my hand says "cooler".

At speed, no difference.

Now, considering that the condensor is 3 inches or so thick and that that
thickness is not "enclosed" above and below. I figure that even though only
so much air can be pulled INTO the engine compartment through the condensor
(front to back if you will) due to the lack of an outflow vent for that air,
there is also the route from above and below, which would admittedly be
re-circulated air, but it is airflow through the fins nonetheless.

As an experiment last year, I reversed the fan to push air OUT thru the
inlet opening on the left side, stuffed foam in the middle to prevent mixing
and left the right side open.  At idle, the fan would cause airflow out of
the left intake opening - enough to blow a paper towel off of the inlet
grill.  At any engine speed much above around 1200 rpm, the engine blower
would overpower that flow, rendering the added fan useless.  This also goes
along with Rusty's thought that only so much air can come in through the
intake openings on the lates and that the engineers mustve made those
passages just big enough and maybe a skosh more and thats it.

I cant argue with the actual data that Rusty has collected, but there's my
subjective data to add to the pile!!

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX