<VV> Engine Drop

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:35:29 -0400 (EDT)

As I understand it, fully extended A-arms and axles alter the drum's alignment with the shoes.

The result, from my experience, is that if one adjusts early brakes while the suspension is fully extended, drum alignment will be off once the A-arms are at ride height.  All the braking (or dragging, as the case may be) will be done by the top end of either the forward or aft brake shoes.  I can't remember which.  I just remember pulling the drums and seeing one shoe looking brand-new, the other worn down to the metal, after a few weeks/months of driving.

I wasted two sets of brake shoes this way.  So now I lift the car just an inch or so by the wheel end of each A-arm, then adjust the brakes.  No wonky brake wear since!

Hat tip: Chet Reed

Michael Smith
Dallas

> 4. After powertrain re-installation, re-adjust the clutch before
> driving. The rear brakes must also be adjusted before driving, with
> the rear suspension at normal ride height (not with axles dangling).
> Otherwise two of the rear shoes will wear out very fast.
Smitty says: Michael enlighten me about the brakes. Why are the brakes
going to wear out?

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com