<VV> A/C Condensers & Fans

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 20:41:36 -0400

On Jun 4, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Bruce Schug wrote:

> I have been told that must mean that the cooling system has the ability
> to cool even more before the A/C is turned on, so that when it is, that
> "excess cooling capacity", comes into play and maintains the temps. I
> will add that in cooler weather, I usually run the engine fan at a
> slower speed. It has the ability to do this and still cool the engine
> just fine. When running the A/C it is imperative that the fan is run at
> normal speed. It just will not cool the engine otherwise! This ability
> to cool while being run at a slower speed if the A/C is off does indeed
> sound like there is excess cooling ability when the fan is run at
> normal speed.

Something else occurred to me about this subject. As noted above, I've
found that I have to have the engine fan running at normal speed to
cool my engine when the A/C is on. But when I don't use the A/C I can
get by running it at a slower speed.

Well, an obvious idea then, when trying to get even more cooling, is to
try running the fan even faster! What would it be like to get a smaller
fan pulley and run it faster?  Presumably this would be for using R134
where it sounds like more airflow is required across the condenser.
Instead of using auxiliary fans, run the engine fan faster. Sure, this
would probably "overcool" the engine at highway speeds, but it appears
a stock engine may be "overcooled" anyway, since my engine will get by
with the fan running slower when the A/C isn't used. It appears the fan
will live comfortably at higher rpm's; race cars and others running at
higher rpm's don't seem to have a problem with fans and fan bearings.
Sure, it'll take a few more horsepower, but if it works it would be
worth it.

Just an idea.

Bruce

Bruce W, Schug