<VV> tech tip???

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Sun, 06 Jun 2004 00:54:35 -0400

Hello all, In preparing for Concours in Lexington I made the
decision to remove Darth Vairs gear shifter and have it powdercoated.
Everything went smoothly as planned and including the disassembley
of the gear shifter rod from the housing assembley. When I removed the
seat from the housing I simply slid the seat around with a screwdriver until
all three ears of the seat were clear of the retaining slots in the housing and
everything including the strong gear shifter spring came easily free. I thought
to myself at time "that was easy but I wonder how I will compress the spring
and cup assembley to be able to return the three-eared seat to the slots in the
housing". Upon the reassembley, I tried in vain and profane to compress
everything
enough to re-engage the seat to the housing slots. I finally realised I
needed something
circular to apply equal pressure to all sides of the seat and still be able
to rotate the
seat to re-engage the three ears into the housing. Scrounging around my
garage I
came upon a 9"x 1 1/2" diameter PVC sink drain pipe. This allowed me to
press down
and turn at the same time. Eureka ! It was much easier on the palm of my
hand and
in 15 seconds or less I was able to compress the spring easily and turn the
shifter seat
to the proper location in the housing and have the seat tang securely in
place. Just a simple
thin walled piece of PVC pipe became my GM J tool replacement.

Chuck Armer

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman