How Diodes & Battery Tender Work Re: <VV> Re: Battery Tender Problems

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:33:53 EDT

Bob,
       You might consider a diode as a check valve that only permits the flow
of electric current in one direction thereby rectifying AC from the
transformer to the DC that the battery needs.  The AC, as its name states, alternates
from positive to negative and the diode "check valve" allows only one of these
(the positive OR the negative, depending on how its installed) to flow into
the battery and charge it.
       A number of years ago I received a Battery Tender Plus from son Jim
and have used it constantly to keep the original stock battery on my 1995
Pontiac TransSport charged and ready.  That battery is now over 9 years old and
still functions perfectly as long as I don't leave it disconnected from the
Battery Tender Plus for a few weeks at a time. Modern cars have a small but steady
drain on the battery that will, after some weeks without running the car, drain
an older battery.  The Battery Tender works by initially providing a higher
charging rate (more amps) until the battery voltage reaches about 14.2 to 14.5
volts, thereby mimicking the charging system in the car.  But at that point,
the sophisticated electronics switches the charging rate to a much lower value
and thereafter continues to maintain the charging voltage at 13.5 volts.  At
this voltage level the battery is maintained without overheating or decomposing
the water in the electrolyte so the unit can be left connected indefinitely
(like all winter) and still be ready to supply full starting capability for the
spring "reawakening".  Continuous charging at 1 to 2 amps from a "trickle
charger" is definitely NOT the way to go for a long period of time.
       Regards and see you at Lexington,
       Frank Burkhard