<VV> Corvair convention tune-up/Indy autox report

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:50:47 -0500

Well, I DID sort of get an autocross in (I'm WAY out of practice) the prior
weekend in Joliet.  I screwed up the BOX on run #1 and had brain freeze
after a hard left and just at the entry to the slalom.  Almost started on
the wrong side of the first cone - had to back up so as not to go off
course.  Oh, and YES, it was in the rain.  Unfortunately, I only got two
runs before it poured so hard that they called the event.  They run only one
car at a time with a big loop (really tight carousel?) at the end (your
choice on which way you go around the loop) so that you do end up running
the course in both directions.

Also unfortunately, it was in the Icemobile (took the snows off) rather than
the convert - which I HOPE to have ready for convention.  The convert had
major surgery a year ago - fresh pistons, rings, cylinders (bottom end too).
However, it never stopped using oil after that.  I was convinced that I had
a broken ring or maybe even two.  It turns out that the cylinders were bored
sort of square.  There are four definite lines down the side of each
cylinder wall where the rings have barely made (or maybe didn't even make)
contact with the cylinder walls.

The engine is almost back together (so could not have raced it this weekend
anyway).  Besides, I was unaware of the Indy event.  Where would I find
their schedule?

Thanks to Lon Wall for overnighting six new cylinders so that I can have the
convert (and hopefully a chance to break it in) in time for Lexington.  The
break-in period might end up being the drive down.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR