<VV> tech tip??? (shifter assembly)

David V. Clamp 66corsa@cox.net
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:36:50 -0400

Snip---------------------------------
I finally realized I needed something circular to apply equal pressure to
all sides of the seat and still be able to rotate the seat to re-engage the
three ears into the housing. Scrounging around my garage I came upon a 9"x 1
1/2" diameter PVC sink drain pipe. This allowed me to
press down and turn at the same time. Eureka ! It was much easier on the
palm of my
hand and in 15 seconds or less I was able to compress the spring easily and
turn the
shifter seat to the proper location in the housing and have the seat tang
securely in
place. Just a simple thin walled piece of PVC pipe became my GM J tool
replacement.
Unsnip--------------------------------

Chuckster, your tip couldn't have come at a better time. My car suddenly
developed a lot of shifter slop and it was obvious it was in the shifter
itself. I removed the shifter and discovered that the shifter seat had
popped out and everything was loose in there. I didn't have any PVC around,
but I used a section of shop-vac extension tube, a screw driver, and the
next door neighbor for an extra set of hands. I'm guessing it was harder to
rotate the seat because it had gotten bent and I had to re-shape it, so I'm
sure it's not perfect. But, my shifter is now back together and I can easily
find reverse again.

David V Clamp
Member: Corsa
              Heart of Georgia Corvairs - Newsletter Editor, VP
              Nader's Raiders
1966 Corsa convertible 140 +0.030/4spd w/ AC
mailto:66corsa@cox.net