<VV> 140 Valve Seats

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:09:14 EDT

Hello David,

While I agree that running an engine at its limits will shorten its life when
compared to one run gently, I respectfully disagree with your position on the
140s.  There are a number of reasons that the 140s drop seats more than
others but by far, the main reason is purely technical and the driving habits of a
140 owner are secondary.  The 140 HP engine has larger diameter valves and
valve seats.  When things get hot, the aluminum head expands more than the steel
valve seats and the interference fit between them lessens.  This is when the
seat tends to drop.  All Corvair engines suffer from this malady to different
extents but the 140 is still worse than even the turbos which I suspect would
also be driven hard.  While in boost, the turbos tend to run much higher
temperatures than even the 140s but don't have the dropped seat problem as bad as
the 140s.  This is specifically due to the larger diameter seats.  I could go
into details of the thermal coefficient of expansion of aluminum vs. steel but
don't want to put you to sleep.

Doc