<VV> 140 vs 180

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:47:40 -0400

Comments in text:

On Jun 9, 2004, at 10:02 AM, NicolCS@aol.com wrote:

> Here are my five cents worth:
> 140:
> + Low end power (with a stock cam)
> + Simpler carb repairs
> + More opportunity for "tinker-time" (work, but it's fun, a +/-)
> - Carb linkage, especially secondaries and linkage-wear issues
> - Hose and spark-plug wire routing is critical

I'm glad you guys have pointed out to me that the carb linkage and plug
wire routing are a problem. I've driven a 140 for... I guess over
twenty-five years and wasn't aware of that. I'll have to start worrying
about them.

> - The valve seat's black cloud hovers overhead...
>
> 180:
> + Simple underhood maintenance (less tinker time, a +/-)
> + Exhaust sound (Ooh so throaty)
> + Boost feel (I have always lived in hilly areas, not Florida like Joe)
> + Exotic underhood appearance

And four carbs isn't?

> + Ability to respond "Yes" to the question

What question?

> - Exhaust / Intake leaks
> - Ignition system maintenance (though wires are better these days)
> - Hot restart (rich)
> - Power not always available
>
> I own four cars, all of them with 140 engines.  The allure of four
> carbs,
> dual exhaust, and those "oh so big" valves just tips the scales for
> me.  Of the
> four 140s I have, two are EFI with the 304 cam, one is a totally stock
> '65 with
> 3.55 gears and the original 891 cam, and one is a PG140 with the
> retarded 889
> 95 hp cam mated to an early 4 speed/3.08 final.

Quite a stable!

> The stock 65/3.55 140 is totally pleasing and tractable.  The only
> negative
> is hwy rpm.
> The high-torque 140 (retarded 95hp cam) and the whack-o transaxle is
> the best
> of all. It is just as easy to drive as the stock 140/3.55, has
> incredible
> response to the secondaries, and low highway rpm makes cruising at 70
> to 80+ mph
> effortless.
> My Fiero EFI car is currently overcammed for its gearing and that's
> not-so-fun. (recamming is next winter's project)
> The Binion EFI 140/3.55 car runs like a champ but, like my '65,
> suffers from
> highway rpm cacaphony.
>
> I think you would enjoy having a turbo, Joe.  No more fuel leaks, no
> more
> synchronizing, and it's much easier to clean and detail the turbo
> engine.  In
> Florida, hot restart may be a big issue, though there are probably
> cures
> available.  Florida's terrain isn't the best for turbos either, but it
> will still be
> fun.  And, best of all, you will be able to answer the inevitable
> question with
> a... "YES"!

Bruce W, Schug
CORSA South Carolina