<VV> Plug Secondaries (140hp only)?

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:30:34 -0400

OK - that was a nice thread about 140hp vs 150/180hp.
     Now, I've got a question that is a bit more realistic for a guy who has
a 140, but no other Corvair. This concerns secondary carburetors Yes/No.
This does NOT concern changing heads! Assume KEEPING the 140 heads and
blocking off the bases for the secondaries, perhaps changing the crossshaft
to a two-carb type.
     My own limited experience with running in this mode leads me to expect:

* Performance as smooth as with 4 carbs (properly jetted/adjusted)
* SOME improvement in gas mileage (how much?)
* Presumably some reduction of performance (how much?)
* Possibly some impairment of cooling at the ends of the heads where the
secondaries were (?)

     Anyone who has experience running his 140 on its primaries only is
requested to chime in with reports of experience, particularly anyone who
has done so deliberately rather than as a matter of expedience (secondaries
not working, can't afford ANY reduction of gas mileage, etc.).

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp with all 4 carbs running 4-speed with A/C